Monday, June 11, 2007

Being objective

Here's something I've thought about since I was pregnant. Is there any mother who doesn't think she has the most wonderful and beautiful child? I'm thinking not. I'm sure we've got that coded in our hearts somehow. Ever since the moment I found out that I was having a baby, I was in love. I enjoyed every moment of pregnancy, and continuously wondered what it would be like to be a mother. I wondered what I would be like as a mother, hoping I'd figure out a way to balance my desire to raise a decent person with wanting to have a great relationship with my child. And the moment I laid eyes on my baby girl, well no one could have ever told me that the love would be deeper than I ever imagined. I had never before seen such a beautiful creature. Every single day I love her more. Even when I think my heart couldn't possibly hold another ounce of love, it somehow finds the room.

I never would have guessed this would happen. When I was young, I remember thinking how unfortunate I was to have parents who were so protective of me and involved in my life. I was determined that when I had a child, I would be such a completely different parent. Now I get it. Everything they did was because they loved me. I only hope my daughter realizes this earlier than I did.

No comments: