Friday, July 6, 2007

Snoring

Our dogs have a problem with snoring. Actually, we have a problem with their snoring. I don't know if it's all that extra Labrador skin around their necks that impedes clear breathing when they curl up for a snooze or what. Lucy more so than Niagra. And Lucy is a sound sleeper. Usually Frank can snap his fingers to get her attention and wake her up. Occasionally we have to quietly coax her out of her REM sleep by saying, "Lucy - wanna get it?" or "Lucy, bring it!" or some other phrase that brings sheer joy to her when she's awake.

The other day, Frank and I were napping (one of the most lovely summer afternoon treats!). I woke up first, as I usually do. I love this time - when the dogs, my husband, and my daughter are all sleeping. I just laid there in Frank's arms relishing the peacefulness. He was sleeping so soundly. They all were. I was watching Frank sleep, his jaw slack as he was mouth-breathing very deep breaths. Then he started snoring. Quietly at first, gradually getting louder. He snapped his fingers, and I giggled. In a groggy voice he hissed, "Lucy!"

I whispered, "Why did you say 'Lucy'?"

"Because she was snoring."

"That was you!"

"..."

He tried to make sense of this in his half-asleep brain. I just thought it was cute that he couldn't tell his sounds from the dog's.

No comments: